e is the way I used to grow my Twitter list to 2,000 followers in just a few months. With what I know now, I know I could do it in weeks, and without all the new bells and whistles out there. Nothing against new technology, but face it, some people have an easier time doing stuff the old fashioned way. This Twitter marketing tip is to give those people an option.
Here is what I did in 5 easy steps:
(This is assuming you have your Twitter site up and running. If not, go see my earlier Twitter Marketing Tips.)
1. The first thing I did was find a few marketing “gurus” that I wanted to get Tweets from. I picked several like Frank Kern and Mike Dillard , for example. I was learning from them anyway, and wanted to see how they use Twitter . I then started following their followers, about 25 at a time from each guru . These are people who have proven that they will follow and they’re interested in the same information I was, so it makes it more likely that they will follow you back. I just went down the list and started following them. About 25% of these people will follow you back, especially if you are Tweeting several times a day about interesting and valuable information. So, if you follow 100, you can expect to get about 25 to follow you back. I set a schedule to follow 250 people every day, about 25 from each guru I was following. Believe me, they will add up fast.
2. The next thing I did was make sure I was Tweeting and doing about 25 @replies and direct replies every day. Make sure that those replies are positive, sociable, and friendly. They should also contain good valuable information that Tweets can use. If you don’t know what to Tweet , just RT or re-Tweet something that you found useful. Twitter likes to see you communicating and being social. This keeps you from being mistaken for a spammer and getting kicked out of Twitter .
3. Every day, repeat this process. Follow about 20 people from each of your “gurus” list till you have followed 250. Then go do @replies to 25 Tweets or reply to direct messages you have received. Just make sure you follow 250 and reply to 25 every day. After just 4-5 days you should be following about 1,000 and have 250-350 following you. You should also have made about 100-125 Tweets , @replies or RTs .
4. At this point, you should go to your Following list and delete anyone who is not following you back. The way to tell if they are following you is by checking if the words “Direct Message” is underneath their name. If you don’t see it, they aren’t following and you need to remove them. Just scroll down the page, deleting or removing as you go and at the bottom click on next. Repeat this till you have checked every page. From now on, just do this step every 4-5 days to keep non-followers off your following list. This will even up your following and followers list and make you look like more of an authority figure on Twitter . You can also start following more people a day now that you have built up your followers list. This is a good time to up your following to about 500-700 people a day. That will give you about 150 new followers every day. Then delete non-followers every 4-5 days. This will get you through the 2,000 follower Twitter obstacle.
5. Twitter has a rule that limits you to following only 2,000 people. When you get 2,000 followers, that limit is lifted. That is why it’s so important to make sure you are sticking to the code that says, “If ya don’t follow me back, you’re outt’a here.” Of course, if someone has really good Tweets , I make an exception. His followers are probably good ones to follow as well, as they are following him for his value and will be looking for others who Tweet valuable info.